Sunday, April 12, 2009

FRUGAL FUN: Picnic & Ice Cream


Firstly, Happy Easter...Christ is Risen!

I'm always on the lookout for things I can do with my family of 4 that costs under $20 or so. It's starting to get warmer out so I decided it would be a nice day for a spring picnic yesterday.

I decided to buy a pre-made sub sandwich at Walmart for $5, because it was very large and I could cut it into 4 pieces easily -- by the time I made my own I would have surely surpassed the price of the sub. TOTAL $5

I got some Meijer brand chips (by the way I LOVE Meijer brand chips -- especially kettle cooked) for $2, and 4 cans of Meijer brand cola (we call it pop in Michigan) for roughly 75 cents for all. TOTAL $2.75

I made some pasta salad with rotini pasta ($1), tomato ($1), cucumber ($1), mayo, mustard, seasonings (on hand). TOTAL $3

We went to a little park in the area and had our picnic which was very nice. It was a bit ruined by some obnoxious spring breakers, but otherwise the sun was shining, the food was delicious and I had the company of my wonderful family. The Cuddly Carpenter brought a soccer ball (football to him) and kicked it around with my Baby Sister. Fun was had by all.

After some time we headed over to the local ice cream shop. Each had a scoop of whichever ice cream he or she enjoyed most. TOTAL $9.47

All in all, it was a bit over $20 but very cheap day. Having fun with the family doesn't have to break the bank!

TOTAL FOR THE DAY: $20.22

0 ideas on "FRUGAL FUN: Picnic & Ice Cream"

Post a Comment