Saturday, April 4, 2009

FRUGAL LIVING: Library Day


Going to the library does not have to be introduced as a great aid to frugal living. The movies, the music, and all of the books = tons of free entertainment! I just go for the books, more or less. Do I still buy books? Yes, I do (mostly at garage sales, more on that later). I went to the library today and got tons of great stuff. Some I will read, and some not.

Currently reading/Just finished:

Duma Key by Stephen King: (4/5)
It was a decent read, but definitely in the category of Stephen King, post retiring, which means that it takes a while to get into and at times meanders and moves slowly. Lately, I have a hard time getting into his stuff. This book was a bit angry, but it was good, too. My favorite character is Wireman who has an interesting story to tell. The gist of the book is that a man gets into a terrible accident and loses most everything in his life and moves to Duma Key and learns he has a special artistic ability....but is there something to this talent that is more sinister?

I recommend it to people who are patient and don't mind waiting for a story to unwind. It was unusual and enjoyable but had some anger and slowness at times.


Sleeping with the Fishes by Mary Janice Davidson(2/5)


To tell you the truth I haven't finished it yet. I have so far dubbed it 'Twilight under water' for its very strange and fluffy writing. It seems very juvenile and is definitely adult fiction, which is a bummer to me because I was looking really forward to the Undead and Unpopular series and now I'm thinking that it will be too fluffy and silly for me. I can go for a good fun, cute book but this seems very shallow and just falls flat. I am about halfway through and it's getting worse not better. Basically it's about a girl who is half mermaid named Fred who all of a sudden has 2 handsome lads (one a human and one a merman who is also a prince) falling all over themselves to woo her. Fred (aka our Mary Sue) must find a way to work out all of her life problems (of which I'm not sure why they are even important). The main character isn't likable...and neither are the supporting ones. The first scene is just disgusting and unnecessary. I don't know why I'm still reading, to tell you the truth. I expected so much more.

I don't recommend this book to anyone unless they want a really easy and fluffy read with one dimensional characters and a plot that falls flat.

Looking for Alaska by John Green (4/5)

This is a young adult book (which I do read from time to time) and I do really like John Green as an author and as a Brotherhood 2.0 Nerdfighter. I read An Abundance of Katherines a while ago and I will admit I liked it better than Looking for Alaska (although overall I think Alaska is a better book). I was intrigued through the entire thing. I guess my only qualm is that it seems so strange for there to be sexuality in a young adult book and it always weirds me out. I don't know if I'd want my young teens to read it (if I had any). On the other hand, that's really hypocritical of me considering what I read as a teen. Yet, that's the way it is.

The story is around a boy at the first time away from home in school who meets an unusual group of friends. It deals with a lot of emotional issues and a lot of feelings that young people have to deal with, and maybe don't know how. I especially liked how Miles memorized people's last words. I definitely recommend this to any adults, though I don't know about the young ones.

On the Reading List: The Time Traveller's Wife, Dean Koontz' Frankenstein, Lizzie Bordon Bio, Pimsleur Japanese Series, and many more...

0 ideas on "FRUGAL LIVING: Library Day"

Post a Comment